visas & working


Applying for a student visa is one of the central steps in preparing for an overseas education. If you are studying a course that is over eighteen hours a week then you will need to apply for a student visa.

You can only apply for a visa once you have been accepted for enrolment by a school that is SEVP certified (click here to learn about SEVP and SEVIS). 

Here are the different types of student visas:

  • F-1: This is the most common visa for students taking an education course over eighteen hours a week. It is for academic students wanting to study at an accredited US institution, including those studying English
  • M-1: This visa is appropriate for students who will be entering into non-academic study or a vocational course at a US institution
  • J-1: This visa is suitable for temporary students engaging in an exchange study programme