Studying in the States - Working and Student Visas - Brooke Chaplan


Going to college in the U.S. offers you a great opportunity to experience American culture, while getting a degree from an established university. Regardless of the college or university that you choose, it's important for you to know the difference between a working and student visa as you apply. There are several different types of visas to be aware of. Choose the one that best fits your situation. Any of the below are also available with the "-2" distinction. This means your spouse can or child may also be able to gain employment in the States.

J-1 Student Visa

The J-1 visa requires that the university provide you with at least 51 percent of your financial support to attend courses. You must provide evidence of your financial support for the entire length of your program when requesting your application. If you engage in any on or off campus employment, you must have permission and a work permit from your program sponsor.

F-1 Student Visa

This visa offers the most flexibility since you can use any amount of financial support to obtain the initial documents, and only have to prove support for the first year when you request your documents. If you have the opportunity to work on-campus, you won't need to secure a work permit. However, off-campus work does require work authorization in most cases.


Work or study - Finding the right visa for your time abroad